Saturday, October 2, 2010

boys

Im not sure how much I can share on this blog. I guess I can say that the boys were taken from a big drug bust. Their caseworker goes to court on Monday, then we will know more. Its hard not to hope that they will stay at least for a few months. They are clean and well cared for, but not bilingual as they told me on the phone yesterday. They only speak Spanish, and some twin gibberish, and not much at all. They do say mama? (looking for her everywhere) mine! and no! They cried and cried and screamed for the better part of yesterday evening. Bloody murder. Today they awoke crying, then just the occasional sniffle and huge tear. Asking for mama and grandma.At the risk of sounding cliche, I will say that I am bone tired already. My mother was here today to help. Its very emotional having them here because they are so sad. They have a new stroller, and are very very fond of it. Relaxed enough this afternoon to play a bit. Not eating much of anything. between the two of them today they consumed 4 small packets of animal crackers, two fish fingers, 2.5 bananas, 16 oz milk and 24 oz watered down juice. And all of my glass of icewater when I wasnt looking. So far I say ist been worth the classes and the invasive homestudy. Just to be able to give these frightened little boys some of what they need.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing a great job. I can only imagine how emotional it must be. I hope it gets easier and you can have them long enough to really settle in. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you are tired! Healing little broken hearts is tough work. Do you have some type of support where you are? I work for a behavioral health program that goes out to see these kids within 24 hours (a LAW in our state) and then works with them ongoing in order to help them heal, and help the foster parents help them. The eating and sleeping issues are normal - it is how young children express their deep sadness and anxiety. It should improve as their care with you continues, as long as another trauma does not occur (i.e. abrupt change in placement, scary visit with parent, etc). I do hope you have someone who is trained in infant mental health near you, in case they need that extra support. Leaving children this age who have experienced such neglect and trauma without specialized therapy is a crime in my opinion. I wish I could come over and do it myself for them:). Anyway, good luck, dear. You are a true hero, they are lucky to have you. If you EVER want to talk about the treatment I would recommend, or whatever, just email. Take care!

    ReplyDelete